Thursday, January 28, 2010

B Please: Race, Class & Linguistics


OK, I'm a bit late on this given that I actually read this article last weekend, but I just had to post about it. Anyway, Mina Jasarevic wrote a great article on HipHopDX.com about the use of the word "bitch" in hip hop and I think its a great read. The article features quotes from Talib Kweli, KRS-One, Eternia, Joell Ortiz, Ras Kass and B-Real.

Anybody who knows my girlfriend knows that she's a pretty staunch feminist. We've had some pretty extensive discussions/debates/arguments over the portrayal of women in mainstream culture generally, but perhaps the most challenging are those about the portrayal of women in hip hop culture.

I love hip hop to death and have bumped any number of misogynistic anthems in my life, but I've got to say its something that's pretty difficult to justify on a rational level. After all, if the point of hip hop is so often drummed up as an outlet for the marginalised, how can you then justify the subjectification of women?

I've got to say the conclusion to the article (or lack thereof) is a bit of a cop out, as are Joell Ortiz's quotes which seem more like attempted diversions rather than facing the issue being discussed.

I really think the dicsussion of misogyny in hip hop too often comes from outside the culture. It's about time the discussion came more regularly from within.

No comments: